Monday, June 16, 2008

(Written on Sunday, June 15 - Photo: Matt and Fer)
Right now, I am miserable. Why? Because I am leaving paradise. I am sitting in the Buenos Aires airport after the most emotional and heartfelt goodbye 2 days ago in the minute Rafaela airport. I won't go into all of the rough details, but I personally cried my heart out more so than I ever have in my life. I can safely say that between the exchange students and the hosts there was scarcely a dry eye.
On the other hand, this has been one of the best experiences of my life. These last two weeks I have built friendships and made memories that I will never forget. 7 months. Only 7 months until we see our Argentine brothers and sisters again. Maybe sooner for some of us who are going to try and convince our parents for a trip over Winter Break (Mom, Dad... please.)
The last two days in Bs As we have felt NUMB due to our sorrowful goodbye and the lack of sleep from our 48 hour social gatherings the last 2 days in Rafaela where I got a combined 4 hours of sleep. I sincerely don't want to leave... I'd stay all summer. I miss my family, but like I said, it's paradise. Soccer every day, infinite amounts of delicious food, being treated like celebrities in school and having fun all night long til it's time for breakfast and a quick nap before it starts all over again.
I have probably gained and lost 10 pounds from eating non-stop, then dancing and walking everywhere. The only down side here is the social unrest, the road blockades, and their consequences. Last night we heard riots, drums and protest fireworks from people here unhappy with their government. This entry is long enough now, but I could write for days about this trip and how much it has meant to me. I will miss not only my Argentine friends, but our Westminster group as well, because the bonds we made in this short time are so strong. Love, Matt

No comments: